Selling an Expensive Gun in Illinois? Get the Most with Dunlap Gun Consigners!
Selling a high-dollar firearm in Illinois? Don’t settle for less and consign with the industry leading Dunlap Gun Consigners. We know how hard it can be to get the most out of a private sale, especially in a state like Illinois where firearms regulations are some of the strictest within the United States. Stressing out about finding an eligible buyer, selling at the right price and doing so in efficient time are worries of the past with our service.
We guarantee fetching top dollar for highly valuable and investment grade guns and doing so in quick fashion. Our clients are paid within 15 – 30 days and there is no need to wait for an in-person auction to take place or limit yourself to the local market at the gun shop. Our marketing tactics, reliable data and expertise on the market are a cut above when compared to other consigners in the industry.
So if ready to use the most convenient and effortless gun consignment service with just a few strokes, let’s begin the process.
But if determined to sell privately within the state, here is a helpful guide to navigate those tricky gun laws below.
What are the Requirements to Purchase a Firearm in Illinois?
In order to purchase a firearm legally, the buyer must be 18 years old to purchase rifles, shotguns and ammunition. Buyers looking to purchase handguns must be at least 21 years old. All buyers must have a valid Firearm Owner’s Identification card. For more specific information on acquiring a FOID, visit https://www.ispfsb.com/Public/FOID.aspx.
Before acquiring a firearm, check with local municipality for possible firearm ordinances. Some communities may have laws prohibiting possession of specific types of firearms and/or requiring that firearms be secured within the home. The Illinois State Police compiles these ordinances, when provided by the local municipalities, and provides them to the public via the internet at http://www.isp.state.il.us.
Anyone purchasing a firearm from a licensed firearms dealer must complete a Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms form 4473 (firearms transaction form). This form will be maintained by the dealer. A firearms purchaser must, under the permanent provisions of the Federal Brady Law, also undergo a National Instant Criminal Background Check System check, which will be performed by the firearms dealer.
This check will indicate to the dealer whether the purchaser’s background allows for the person to complete the purchase of the firearm and notifies the Illinois State Police (ISP), Firearms Services Bureau to perform a background check in accordance with state and federal laws.
If the transaction is approved, the buyer must abide by the State of Illinois waiting period before taking possession of the firearm. The waiting period for a long gun is 24 hours and 72 hours for a handgun.
How to Conduct a Private Sale in Illinios?
430 ILCS 65/3(a-10) – Any person who is not a federally licensed firearm dealer and who desires to transfer or sell a firearm or firearms to any person who is not a federally licensed firearm dealer shall, before selling or transferring the firearms, contact the Department of State Police with the transferee’s or purchaser’s Firearm Owner’s Identification Card number to determine the validity of the transferee’s or purchaser’s Firearm Owner’s Identification Card.
The Department of State Police shall provide the seller or transferor an approval number if the purchaser’s Firearm Owner’s Identification Card is valid. Approvals issued by the Department for the purchase of a firearm are valid for 30 days from the date of issue.
View the entire Gun Safety and Responsibility Act on the Illinois General Assembly’s website at http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/publicacts/98/098-0508.htm.
Illinois Firearm Ownership Restrictions
In addition to federal restrictions on ownership of a firearm, Illinois has its own set of state restrictions. The following disqualifies a person from owning a firearm in Illinois:
- Not been adjudicated as a mental defective.
- Not been a patient in a mental institution or any part of a medical facility for the treatment of mental illness within the past 5 years.
- Not intellectually disabled or developmentally disabled.
- Not within the past year (preceding the date of this application) used or been addicted to any controlled substance or narcotics in violation of state or federal law.
- Not subject of an existing Order of Protection or a No Contact/No Stalking Order.
- Not within the past 5 years been convicted of battery, assault, aggravated assault, violation of an order of protection, or a substantially similar offense in which a firearm was used or possessed.
- Not been convicted of domestic battery (felony or misdemeanor), aggravated domestic battery or a substantially similar offense.
- Not been adjudicated by a court as a mental defective or ordered by a court, board or authorized entity to in-patient or out-patient mental health treatment.
- Not an alien who is unlawfully present in the United States.
- Not within the past year failed a drug test for a drug for which I did not have a prescription.
- Not been admitted to the United States under a non-immigrant visa of the Immigration and Nationality Act.
- Never renounced my citizenship as a citizen of the United States.
- Never been discharged from the Armed Forces under dishonorable conditions.
- Not a fugitive from justice.
FEDERAL DISQUALIFICATION CATEGORIES
- Conviction (felony or misdemeanor) where the crime has a maximum imprisonment term exceeding 1 year (even if a buyer did not receive actual imprisonment exceeding 1 year).
- Warrant (felony or out-of-state misdemeanor).
- Felony pre-trial release.
- Misdemeanor crimes of domestic violence restraining/stalking/protection order mental health adjudication or commitment.
- Unlawful use or addicted to a controlled substance (including marijuana).
- Dishonorable discharge from the armed forces.
- Renounced U.S. citizenship.
- Illegal alien.
Want to make sure your firearm is sold legally for top dollar? Use GunConsignment.com for peace of mind!
Our service allows you to relax from the comfort of home while our staff of professionals navigate the hard part of selling a firearm through consignment. Our process is not only safe and hassle-free, it is lightning fast.
We guarantee your consigned firearm will fetch top-dollar and you will be paid within 15 – 30 days no matter what time of year it is or where you are located within the United States!
Just tell us the specific make, model and caliber of your firearm, upload a few photos of it and once we agree on a price, we’ll provide a cost free shipping label via UPS. Any and all additional expenses will be paid by Dunlap Gun Consigners.
Begin our safe, discrete and legal process here.
The information contained on this website has been prepared as a service to the internet community and is not intended to constitute legal advice. GunConsignment.com has used reasonable efforts in collecting, preparing, and providing quality information and material, but does not warrant or guarantee the accuracy, completeness, adequacy, or currency of the information contained in or linked to this website. Users of information from this website or links do so at their own risk and should consult their local firearm law resources and/or an attorney when engaging in selling a firearm.