What are the Laws for Buying and Selling Guns in Puerto Rico?
For gun owners considering purchasing or selling a firearm in Puerto Rico, it’s crucial to understand the nuances of gun regulations in this United States territory. Although, Dunlap Gun Consigners is a good option for buyers to be compliant with the regulations and not have to worry about breaking the law during the transaction, we are providing a guide to better understand the legal way to buy and sell within Puerto Rico.
How to Purchase a Gun Through a Licensed Dealer in Puerto Rico?
To legally purchase a firearm in Puerto Rico from a licensed firearms dealer, buyers need to complete a Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms form 4473. Additionally, a National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) check will be conducted by the licensed dealer to determine if a buyer meets the eligibility criteria.
To sell a firearm legally, sellers must follow the licensing and registration process in place within Puerto Rico. All firearms and ammunition must be registered through the Puerto Rico Police Department. Obtaining a gun license involves a multifaceted process that includes providing various documents, a notarized Application for Weapons License, and meeting specific eligibility requirements.
What is the Gun Licensing, Permit, and Registration Process?
The gun licensing process in Puerto Rico requires applicants to be at least 21 years old and meet specific criteria which include:
- Providing proof of social security number
- Showing proof of date of birth and legal presence in the territory
- Presenting a copy of a valid driver’s license or non-passport identification
- Submitting a recent headshot photo
- Providing a certificate of a negative criminal record issued within the past 30 days
- Undergoing fingerprinting by the Police Bureau
- Applicants should not have a history that would disqualify them, such as being declared mentally incompetent by a court, being addicted to controlled substances, or having a record of violence. Additionally, applicants must submit sworn statements from three individuals attesting to the applicant’s good reputation in the community and lack of propensity for violence.
Once approved, license holders can purchase ammunition of the same caliber as thier firearm and are generally allowed to own a maximum of 2 firearms. However, certain exceptions apply, such as acquisitions through inheritance or with a target shooting or hunting permit. In such cases, no established limit exists, but gun owners with 15 weapons or more must store 80 percent of them in a safe and fixed place.
How to Conduct a Private Sale of Guns in Puerto Rico?
With the enactment of the Weapons Act of 2020, private gun sales in Puerto Rico underwent significant changes, aligning regulations more closely with those on the U.S. mainland. If engaged in a private gun sale, both the buyer and the seller must possess valid firearms licenses. During the transaction, an electronic criminal background check of the buyer is conducted through the National Instant Criminal Background Check System.
Failing to comply with the regulations can lead to fines and penalties, with potential revocation of the firearms license and seizure of firearms and ammunition for repeat offenders.
FEDERAL DISQUALIFICATION CATEGORIES
- Conviction (felony or misdemeanor) where the crime has a maximum imprisonment term exceeding 1 year (even if a buyer did not receive actual imprisonment exceeding 1 year).
- Warrant (felony or out-of-state misdemeanor).
- Felony pre-trial release.
- Misdemeanor crimes of domestic violence restraining/stalking/protection order mental health adjudication or commitment.
- Unlawful use or addicted to a controlled substance (including marijuana).
- Dishonorable discharge from the armed forces.
- Renounced U.S. citizenship.
- Illegal alien.
For a more detailed look at Arizona firearm regulations click here.
Want to make sure your firearm is sold legally for top dollar? Use GunConsignment.com for peace of mind!
Our service allows you to relax from the comfort of home while our staff of professionals navigate the hard part of selling a firearm through consignment. Our process is not only safe and hassle-free, it is lightning fast.
We guarantee your consigned firearm will fetch top-dollar and you will be paid within 15 – 30 days no matter what time of year it is or where you are located within the United States!
Just tell us the specific make, model and caliber of your firearm, upload a few photos of it and once we agree on a price, we’ll provide a cost free shipping label via UPS. Any and all additional expenses will be paid by Dunlap Gun Consigners.
Begin our safe, discrete and legal process here.
The information contained on this website has been prepared as a service to the internet community and is not intended to constitute legal advice. GunConsignment.com has used reasonable efforts in collecting, preparing, and providing quality information and material, but does not warrant or guarantee the accuracy, completeness, adequacy, or currency of the information contained in or linked to this website. Users of information from this website or links do so at their own risk and should consult their local firearm law resources and/or an attorney when engaging in selling a firearm.